In the early morning hours, a person was killed in a one-car crash in Greenville, South Carolina. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on Latimer Ridge Road, near Honea Path at about 1:22 a.m. For currently unknown reasons, the 2001 GMC pickup truck left the roadway and struck a tree. The driver was killed, and his or her name has not yet been released.
Driver Not Wearing Seat Belt
Sadly, WLOS ABC News Channel 13 also reports that the driver was not buckled up at the time of the crash. Very few details have been released, as the cause of the crash is still under investigation with local law enforcement authorities.
U.S. Seat Belt Safety Facts
- In 2012, seat belts saved an estimated 12,174 lives.
- From 2008 to 2012, almost 63,000 lives were saved thanks to seat belts.
- In 2012, an additional 3,031 lives could have been saved if all unrestrained occupants ages five and older were buckled up at the time of their crashes.
- 66 percent of pickup truck occupants who were killed in car crashes were not buckled up.
- 62 percent of 18 to 34-year-old passenger vehicle occupants killed in car crashes were not buckled up.
Seat Belt Safety in Asheville
Improving seat belt safety in North Carolina and across the country needs to be a top priority for motorists. Drivers should always set a good example for passengers of all ages by using their seat belts for every trip. Since a large majority of passenger occupants are also children, size and age-appropriate restraint systems should always be utilized, whether it's a rear-facing car seat or a booster seat. Improving roadway safety for communities in Greenville and the surrounding areas starts with buckling up.
Fatal and Injury Causing Crashes
Fatal and injury-causing crashes are devastating for families and communities in and around Asheville and Greenville. Whether you're recovering from an accident, or you've lost a loved one, an experienced legal team can help to answer your questions and be your advocate during a difficult time. The team at Davis Law Group, P.A. sends their deepest condolences to the family members and friends of the victim.