Early Sunday morning, a teen from Charlotte was killed in an Upstate crash. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened on Augusta Road. For currently unknown reasons, the car veered off of the roadway and rolled several times. 18-year-old Keundra Smith was ejected from the vehicle. Although she was airlifted to the hospital, she did not survive her injuries. Her cousin, who was injured in the crash, was driving the car.
Young Driver Crash Facts
- In 2013, there were 1,691 young drivers (ages 15 to 20 years old) who died in motor vehicle crashes.
- An estimated 1,777,000 young drivers were injured in motor vehicle crashes in 2013.
- In 2012, 1,880 young drivers were killed in crashes.
- An estimated 1,840,000 young drivers were injured in 2012.
- Young drivers accounted for six percent of the total number of licensed drivers in 2013.
- In 2013, nine percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes were 15 to 20 years old.
Teen Passenger Safety
Teen drivers aren't the only ones who are at risk for injury-causing crashes. Teen passengers are also at risk, especially when they're in the car with a teen driver and other peer passengers. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has a great variety of resources for teen drivers, passengers and their parents. The NHTSA is urging parents to talk to their teen drivers about the "Five to Drive" rules. These rules address the five major safety concerns facing teen drivers.
5 to Drive Safety Rules for Teen Drivers
- No cell phones while driving
- No extra passengers
- No speeding
- No alcohol
- No driving or riding without a seat belt
At this time, very few details about the deadly crash have been released. As of Monday, Smith's cousin was listed in stable condition, but there's been no word on the extent of injuries involved. This crash is still under investigation with law enforcement authorities. The team at Davis Law Group, P.A. sends their deepest condolences to Keundra Smith's family members, friends, loved ones and classmates. We also wish a speedy recovery for her injured cousin.