On Tuesday afternoon, a tractor trailer fire had traffic backed up on I-40. According to WLOS ABC News Channel 13, the incident happened at about 3:30 p.m., near the weigh station in Buncombe County. Although very few details have been released, we do know the fire was very large, and motorists were being diverted from the roadway. The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) had lanes closed from mile marker 40 to mile marker 44.
Semi Truck Fire in Buncombe County
At this time, there is no word on how the fire started or if anybody was injured. Drivers were being asked to use US-19/23 as an alternate route while first responders and crews worked the scene. There is no word on what the truck was hauling or if any other vehicles were involved. The cause of this fire is likely still under investigation with authorities.
Semi Truck Crash Statistics
- In 2013, there were 3,964 fatalities in crashes involving large trucks.
- An estimated 95,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks in 2013.
- 71 percent of people killed in large truck crashes in 2013 were occupants in other vehicles.
- Nearly 17 percent of all large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes had at least one prior speeding conviction.
- Two percent of the large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2013 had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) of .08 or higher.
Tractor Trailer Accidents in Asheville
Since commercial truck drivers and trucking companies have additional federal regulations to follow, accident cases involving tractor trailers can be complicated and lengthy. Big rigs can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, and they can do a significant amount of damage to smaller passenger occupant vehicles. Companies and corporations within the commercial trucking and big insurance industries are frequently looking out for their own bottom lines and have teams of lawyers on their side.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in a truck accident in Asheville or the surrounding communities, contact the skilled team at Davis Law Group, P.A. at 866-397-2897 for an immediate free consultation.